Refereed Papers in Professional Journals, Book edited & Book chapters
Orenstein, D.E. The Cultural Ecosystem Services of Mediterranean Pine Forests.Pines and their mixed forest ecosystems in the Mediterranean Basin. Eds. G. Ne’eman and Y. Osem. Springer. 2020. In print. (Pre-print available here)
Berkowitz, A., S. Abu-Rabia-Queder, and D.E. Orenstein, Transformative Practices Within Mechanisms of Control: ‘Recognizing’ Unrecognized Arab-Bedouin Villages at the Rural-Urban Fringe. Berkeley Planning Journal. 2020. 31(0):18-48.
Depietri, Y. and D.E. Orenstein. Bridging two cultures of fire risk at wildland-urban interface: the case of Haifa (Israel).Pgs 19-36 in P. Pinto Santos, K. Chmutina, J. Von Meding, E. Raju (Eds), Understanding Disaster Risk. Elsevier. 2020.
Depietri, Y. and Orenstein, D.E., 2020. Managing fire risk at the wildland-urban interface requires reconciliation of tradeoffs between regulating and cultural ecosystem services. Ecosystem Services 44, 101108. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecoser.2020.101108
Kosel, S., Y. Teff-Seker, Y., D.E. Orenstein, and E. Groner. Narratives of Cooperative Ecological Science: The Case of Israel and Jordan. Peace and Conflict: Journal of Peace Psychology. dx.doi.org/10.1037/pac0000437. 2019.
Holzer, J., C.M. Adamescu, C. Cazacu, R. Diaz-Delgado, J. Dick, P.F. Méndez, L. Santamaria and D.E. Orenstein. Results from a Case Study Evaluation of Transdisciplinary Science in the European Long-term Socio-Ecological Research (LTSER) Network. Biological Conservation. Volume 238, 108228, October 2019
Ben-Dor, S., D.E. Orenstein and M. Shachak. Web of interactions approach to identify essential ecosystem variables: the case of the Negev Highlands. Ecosphere. 10(11)1-15. e02906. 2019.
Negev, M., H. Sagie, D.E. Orenstein, S. Zemah Shamir, Y. Hassan, H. Amasha, O. Raviv, N. Fares, A. Lotan, Y. Peled, L. Wittenberg, and I. Izhaki. Using the Ecosystem Services Framework for Defining Diverse Human-Nature Relationships in a Multi-Ethnic Biosphere Reserve. Ecosystem Services. Volume 39, 100989, October 2019
Depietri, Y., Orenstein, D.E. Fire-Regulating Services and Disservices With an Application to the Haifa-Carmel Region in Israel. Frontiers in Environmental Sciences 7 (Article 107). 2019
Teff-Seker, Y. and D.E. Orenstein. The “Desert Experience”: Evaluating the Cultural Ecosystem Services of Drylands through Walking and Focusing. People and Nature. 1(2): 234-248. 2019.
Orenstein, D.E., D. Troupin, E. Segal, J.M. Holzer, and G. Hakima-Koniak. Utilizing spatial and landscape planning to promote ecological conservation on a university campus. International Journal of Sustainability in Higher Education. 2019. 20(2):190-213. 2019.
Hummel, C., Poursanidis, D., Orenstein, D.E., Elliott, M., Adamescu, M.C., Cazacu, C., Ziv, G. van der Meer, J., Hummel, H. The use of the Ecosystem Services approach in Protected Area management. Science of the Total Environment. 651(Pt.2):2432-2443. 2019.
Shach-Pinsly, D., D.E. Orenstein, S. Assif, and I. Filkovski. Analysis and Assessment of Models for Regional Sustainability and Local Stakeholder Participation. Ecology and Environment. In print. 2019. (Hebrew)
Holzer, J.M., Adamescu, M.C., Bonet-García, F.J., Díaz-Delgado, R., Dick, J., Grove, J.M., Rozzi, R., Orenstein, D.E. Negotiating local vs. global needs in the International Long Term Ecological Research (ILTER) Network’s Socio-Ecological Research Agenda. Environmental Research Letters. 13(10):105003. 2018.
Mirtl, M., E. Borer, I. Djukic, M. Forsius, P. Haase, H. Haubold, W. Hugo, J. Jourdan, D. Lindenmayer, W. McDowell, H. Muraoka, D.E. Orenstein, J. Pauw, J. Peterseil, H. Shibata, C. Wohner, X. Yu. Genesis, Goals and Achievements of Long-Term Ecological Research at the global scale: A critical review of ILTER and future implications. Science of the Total Environment. 2018. 626 (2018): 1439-1462.
Dick, J., D.E. Orenstein, J. Holzer, C. Wohner, A. Achard, C. Andrews, N. Avriel-Avni, P. Beja, N. Blond, J. Cabello, C. Chen, R. Díaz-Delgado, G.V. Giannakis, S. Gingrich, Z. Izakovicova, K. Krauze, N. Lamouroux, S. Leca, V. Melecis, K. Miklós, M. Mimikou, G. Niedrist, C. Piscart, C. Postolache, A. Psomas, M. Santos-Reis, U. Tappeiner, K. Vanderbilt, G. Van Ryckegem. 2018. What is socio-ecological research delivering? A literature survey across 25 international LTSER platforms. Science of the Total Environment. 622-623(2018):1225-1240.
Holzer, J., N. Carmon and D.E. Orenstein. Evaluating socio-ecological research: A proposed methodology. Ecological Indicators. 85:808-819. 2018.
Golan, L., D. Orenstein and P. Plaut. What makes a successful Biosphere Reserve? Local and International insights. Ya’ar. 18:45-53. 2017. (In Hebrew).
Orenstein, D.E. and D. Shach-Pinsly. 2017. A Comparative Framework for Assessing Sustainability Initiatives at the Regional Scale. World Development.
Eizenberg E., D.E. Orenstein and H. Zimroni. 2017. Back to the (visualization) laboratory: using focus groups to generate qualitative and quantitative results. Journal of Planning Education and Research. 1-14: March, 2017.
Teschner, N., D.E. Orenstein, I. Shapira and T. Keasar. 2017. Commentary: The contribution of socio-ecological research to a transition toward sustainable practices in agriculture. International Journal of Agricultural Sustainability. 14(2):99-101.
Orenstein, D.E., T. Katz-Gerro and J. Dick. Environmental tastes as predictors of environmental opinions and behaviors. Landscape and Urban Planning. 161:59-71. 2017
Avriel-Avni, N., J. Holzer, M. Shachak, D.E. Orenstein, and E. Groner. Using transdisciplinary action research toward sustainable management in the Negev Highlands. In Maposte, T. (ed.) “Cross-Disciplinary Approaches to Action Research and Action Learning.” IGI-Global Publishers. Hershey, PA. USA. 2017.
Pereira, M.G., Hayes J.P., C. Miller, and D.E. Orenstein. 2017. Fire on the Hills: An environmental history of fires and fire policy in Mediterranean-type ecosystems. Pp. 149-167 in Vaz, E. and C. Joanaz de Melo (eds). Environmental History in the Making, Proceedings of the 2nd World Congress on Environmental History (ICEHO, Portugal 2014), Springer. Dordrecht, Germany.
Maase M., P. Balvanera, J. Baudry, P. Bourgeron, J. Dick, M. Equihua, M. Forsius, L. Halada, K. Krauze, M. Nakaoka, D. Orenstein, T. Parr, C. Redman, R. Rozzi, M. Santos-Reis, A. Vădineanu. 2016. Changes in biodiversity and trade-offs among ecosystem services, stakeholders and components of well-being: the contribution of the ILTER to PECS. Ecology and Society. 21(3):31. This article is open-source and free to all!
Orenstein, D.E., H. Zimroni and E. Eizenberg. 2015. The immersive visualization theater: A new tool for ecosystem assessment and landscape planning. Computers, Environment and Urban Systems. 54:347-355.
Katz-Gerro, T. and D.E. Orenstein. 2015. Environmental Tastes, Opinions and Behaviors: Social Sciences in the Service of Cultural Ecosystem Service Assessment. Ecology and Society. 20(3):28. This article is open-source and free to all!
Orenstein, D.E. and E. Groner. 2015. Using the ecosystem services framework in a long-term socio-ecological research platform: Lessons from the Wadi Araba desert, Israel and Jordan. In: Rozzi, R., Pickett, S.T.A., Callicott, J.B., Chapin, F.S., Power, M.E. and Armesto, J.J. (eds): Earth Stewardship: Linking Ecology and Ethics in Theory and Practice. Springer. Dordrecht, Germany. PDF
Orenstein, D.E. and E. Groner. 2014. In the eye of the stakeholder: Changes in perceptions of ecosystem services across an international border. Ecosystem Services. 8(2014):185-196.
Dick, J.M., Al-Assaf, A., Andrews, C., Díaz-Delgado, R., Groner, E., Halada, L., Izakovicova, Z., Kertész, M., Khoury, F., Krašić, D., Krauze, K., Matteucci, G., Melecis, V., Mirtl, M., Orenstein, D.E., Preda, E., Santos-Reis, M., Smith, R.I., Vadineanu, A., Veselić, S., Vihervaara, P. 2014. Ecosystem Services: a Rapid Assessment Method Tested at 35 sites of the LTER-Europe Network. Ekologia. 33(3):217-231.
Orenstein, D.E., A. Frankel and F. Jahshan. 2014. Methodology Matters: Measuring Urban Spatial Development Using Alternative Methodologies. Environment and Planning: B. 41(1):3-23.
Moss, B., Bidoglio, G., Piertowsky, R., Breil, P., Bourgeron, P., Cullmann, J., Arduino, G., Jasser, I., Magnuszewski, A., Orenstein, D., Piper, G., Ratajski, S., Wagner, I., Xia, J., and Zalewski, M., 2014. International Symposium on Ecohydrology, Biotechnology and Engineering: Towards Harmony between the Biogeosphere and Society on the basis of Long-Term Ecosystem Research, September 17 – 19, Łódź, Poland. Ecohydrology and Hydrobiology. 14(1):1-13
Sagie, H., Y. Rofè, A. Morris, D.E. Orenstein, and E. Groner. 2013. Cross-Cultural Perceptions of Ecosystem Services: A Social Inquiry on Both Sides of the Israeli-Jordanian Border of the Southern Arava Valley Desert. Journal of Arid Environments. 97:1-11.
Orenstein, D.E. 2013. Zionist and Israeli Perspectives on Population Growth and Environmental Impact in Palestine/Israel. In: Orenstein, D.E., Miller, C. and A. Tal (eds.), Between Ruin and Restoration: Chapters in Israeli Environmental History. University of Pittsburg Press. Pittsburg, PA. PDF
Orenstein, D.E. and E. Silverman. 2013. An Environmental Movement: New Forms of Expression. In: Orenstein, D.E., Miller, C. and A. Tal (eds.), Between Ruin and Restoration: Chapters in Israeli Environmental History. University of Pittsburg Press. Pittsburg, PA. PDF
Mirtl, M., D.E. Orenstein, M. Wildenberg, J. Peterseil, M. Frenzel, and E. Furman.2013. Challenges and experiences in implementing place-based Long-Term Socio-Ecological Research in LTER-Europe. Pp. 409-442 in: Singh, S.J., H. Haberl, M. Chertow, M. Mirtl, M. Schmid (eds.), Long-term socio-ecological research: Studies in society-nature interactions across spatial and temporal scales. Springer. Heidelberg, Germany. 2013.
Orenstein, D.E., Miller, C. and A. Tal (eds.). 2013. Between Ruin and Restoration: An Environmental History of Israel. University of Pittsburgh Press. Pittsburgh, PA. 400 pp.
Orenstein, D.E., E. Groner, E. Argaman, B. Boeken, Y. Preisler, M. Shachak, E.D. Ungar and E. Zaady. 2012. An Ecosystem Service Inventory: Lessons from the Northern Negev Long-Term Social Ecological Research (LTSER) Platform. Geography Research Forum. 32:96-118.
Groner, E., D.E. Orenstein, O. Lihod, W. Muithui, O. Arnon and A. Tal. 2012. The Impact of Homesteads in the Negev on Local Biodiversity. Ecology and Environment 3(4):320-329 (Hebrew).
Frankel, A. and D.E. Orenstein. 2012. Can Urban Growth Management Work in an Era of Political and Economic Change? International Lessons from Israel. Journal of the American Planning Association. 78(1):16-33.
Sagie, H., D.E. Orenstein, E. Groner, M. Strom, A. Morris and Y. Rofe. 2012. Trans-border perceptions of ecosystem services: A social inquiry in the Southern Arava Valley. Ecology and Environment (Hebrew). 3(1):22-31
Orenstein, D.E., B. Bradley, J. Albert, J. Mustard, and S.P. Hamburg. 2011. How Much is built? Quantifying and interpreting patterns of built space from different data sources. International Journal of Remote Sensing. 32(9):2621-2644.
Orenstein, D.E., L. Jiang, and S.P. Hamburg. 2011. An Elephant in the Planning Room: Political-Demography and its Influence on Sustainable Land Use Planning in Drylands. Journal of Arid Environments. 75(6):596-611.
Collins, S., S.R. Carpenter, S.M. Swinton, T.L. Gragson, D.E. Orenstein, N.B. Grimm, J.M. Grove, S. L. Harlan, A.K. Knapp, G.P. Kofinas, J.J. Magnuson, W.H. McDowell, J.M. Melack, L.A. Ogden, G.P. Robertson, M.D. Smith, A.C. Whitmer. 2011. An Integrated Conceptual Framework for Social Ecological Research. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment. 9(6): 351–357.
Orenstein, D.E., and S.P. Hamburg. 2010. Population and Pavement: Population Growth and Land Development in Israel. Population and Environment. 31(4):223-254.
Orenstein, D.E. and S.P. Hamburg. 2009. To Populate or Preserve? Competing Political-Demographic and Environmental Paradigms in Israeli Land Use Planning. Land Use Policy. 26(4):984-1000.
Orenstein, D.E. 2004. Population Growth and Environmental Impact: Ideology and Academic Discourse in Israel. Population and Environment. 26(1):41-60.
Boeken B. and D. Orenstein. 2001. The Effect of Plant Litter on ecosystem properties in a Mediterranean semi-arid shrubland. Journal of Vegetation Science. 12:825-832.
Orenstein, D., B. Boeken and M. Shachak. 1999. The Impact of Litter on Ecosystem Processes in Shrublands. Ecology and Environment. 5(2-3):106-111. (In Hebrew).
- Orenstein, D., M. Lev, Y. Porat, and A. Zuk. Assessing landscape perceptions of visitors in the Biria and Merom Forests following treatments for snow damage. Keren Kayemet L’Israel (In Hebrew). 2019.
- Keisar, T., I. Shapira, D. Orenstein, N. Teschner, I. Landau, and M. Ackerman. Adopting management for conserving natural vegetation in vineyards: From ecological implications to policy transformation. Nekudat Hen. (In Hebrew). 2017.
- Predicting the future of the Kikar Sdom area: Establishing an informed management support in amidst social-ecological chaos. 2014. (with R. Zaidenberg, A. Gottleib, H. Ginat, C. Cohen and G. Ben Natan). Ministry of Science (grant number 3-8104), Jerusalem.
- Valuing ecosystem services though a multi-cultural lens: A bi-national comparison of public perceptions. 2013. (with H. Sagi, M. Strom, E. Groner and A. Morris). Israel Ministry of Science, Jerusalem.
- Long-term Socio-ecological Research (LTSER) Platforms in Israel. March, 2011. (With E. Groner and M. Shachak). Chapter in “LTER: A History of its establishment in Israel and the World” by E. Groner and M. Shachak. Published by LTER-Israel. (In Hebrew).
- The ecological impacts of homesteads in the Central Negev. November, 2009. (With A. Tal, E. Groner, E. Karkovski, O. Arnon, W. Muithui and O. Lihod). Israel Ministry of Environmental Protection, Jerusalem.
- Long-Term Socio-Ecological Research (LTSER) Best Practices Guide. May, 2009. (With M. Frenzel and A. Neuner). A guide for the establishment of new LTSER platforms in Europe, summarizing the results of a workshop in Sumava, Czech Republic, in February, 2009 under the auspices of LTER-Europe.
- The Middle East Environmental Futures Project – Theoretical and Methodological Challenges for a Trans-border Research Initiative. March, 2005. (With J. Albert, S. Alatout, Y. Garb, S.P. Hamburg, K. Rishmawi, and S. Schoenfeld). Summary report on the activities of the Middle East Environmental Futures (MEEF) Project.
- Israel’s most pressing environmental problems. December, 1999. Background paper prepared for the Jerusalem Institute for Policy Studies initiation of their environmental policy research program.
Focus: The Newsletter of the Technion – Israel Institute of Technology
- “Green all over: Fulfilling an ecological vision for the campus.” January, 2015
- “VizLab – The New Visualization Laboratory at The Faculty of Architecture and Town Planning” October, 2013
- “Why a Watershed? And why Public Participation?” May, 2013
- “Green Treasures: The Technion Ecological Garden.” June, 2012
- “When Fire is an Abnormal Event.” February, 2011
- “Planning for Climate Uncertainty: A Win-Win Prospect?” May, 2009
- “Paint it Green” (On environmental efforts in the Technion campus). November, 2008
Other Writings (Op-Eds, etc).
- Humans, Wild Asses and Ecological Disasters. Blog post. Times of Israel. JANUARY 6, 2018
- A climate change paradox: What’s a nice way of warning that we are about to drive off a cliff? Blog post. Times of Israel. SEPTEMBER 16, 2017
- Donald J. Trump, Shooting the Ecological Messenger. Blog post. Times of Israel. JANUARY 26, 2017
- “MifalHaPayis ad campaign: That kid in the rainforest or a yacht?” Blog post. Times of Israel. November 20, 2016
- “Is the land of Israel full? Read and decide!” Blog post (book review of Alon Tal’s “The Land is Full: Addressing Overpopulation in Israel” 2016. Yale University Press). Times of Israel. September 19, 2016.
- “The Commercialization of the Israeli Landscape” Blog post. Times of Israel. July 10, 2016.
- “Don’t dry up Israel’s botanical gardens.” Blog post. Times of Israel. November 7, 2015.
- “The Wonder of wild pigs on Mount Carmel.” Blog post. Times of Israel. November 15, 2014.
- “Purging the Public from Public Planning” Blog post. Times of Israel. July 16, 2014
- “More than Language is Needed in Valuing Ecosystem Services.” Letters. BioScience. 63(12):913; 2013 PDF
- “Obit for the Sand Dunes?” Op-Ed. Ha’aretz. February 3, 2012
- “Is Gas Really Greener?” Op-Ed. Ha’aretz. September 16, 2011.
- “Taking back the Boulevard.” Op-Ed. Ha’aretz, August 12, 2011.
- “When Fire is an Abnormal Event” Op-Ed. Ha’aretz. December 10, 2010.
- “Defending the Home Front.” Op-Ed. Ha’aretz. October 1, 2010.
- “For sale: Earthquake safety.” Op-Ed. Ha’aretz. February 19, 2010.
- “What are we doing here?” Book Reviews. “The Accidental Zionist” by Ian Pear and “Can I Bring My Own Gun” by Seth Freedman. Ha’aretz. July 3, 2009.
- “Of Wars and Wildflowers in the Middle East.” Op-Ed. Providence Journal. November 25, 2008. Reprinted in Middle East Wildlife News 3(4). March, 2009 in English and Arabic.
- “What’s in a Name?” Op-Ed. Ha’aretz. September 5, 2008.
- “What do we do now?” Book Review. Three self-help greening guides by assorted authors. Ha’aretz. August 1, 2008.
- “We Changed Our Minds.” Op-Ed. Ha’aretz. May 9, 2008.
- “Nuclear Born Again.” Book Review. “The Power to Save the World: The Truth About Nuclear Energy,” by Gwyneth Cravens. Ha’aretz. April 4, 2008.
- “Not in it for the Money.” Op-Ed. Ha’aretz. January 26, 2008.
- “When Low-Tech will do the Trick.” Op-Ed. Ha’aretz. December 28, 2007.
- “The City’s Big Green Secret.” Op-Ed. Ha’aretz. December 14, 2007.
- “One Privatized World.” Op-Ed. Ha’aretz. October 12, 2007.
- “Get your kicks on route… 90?”Book Review. “A Crack in the Earth,” by Haim Watzman. Ha’aretz. September 4, 2007.
- “Judaism’s Green Roots.” Book Review. “The Way Into Judaism and the Environment,” by Jeremy Benstein. The Jewish Daily Forward. June 1, 2007.
- “When an ‘Ecological’ Community is not.” Op-Ed. Ha’aretz. March 25, 2007.
- “A local actor: A global difference.” Profile of Dr. Reuven Yosef. Winter/Spring, 2007. Watershed: Brown/RISD Journal of Environment and Culture. 3(2): 20-25. PDF
- “Become a ‘light’ among the nations.” Op-Ed. The Providence Jewish Voice and Herald. November 10, 2006.
- “Reading the Landscape.” Book Review. “The Natural History of the Bible,” by Daniel Hillel. The Jerusalem Report. April 3, 2006.
- “The Green Party Errs on Divestment.” Op-Ed. The Providence Jewish Voice and Herald. January 20, 2006.
- “A Black Day for the American Green Party.” Op-Ed. The Jerusalem Post. December 11, 2005
- “The JNF’s Assault on the Negev” (with Steven Hamburg). Op-Ed. The Jerusalem Report. November 15, 2005.
- “A Contentious Landscape.” Op-Ed. The Jerusalem Report. April 18, 2005.
- “The Vanishing Land.” Op-Ed. The Jerusalem Report. April 5, 2004.
- “Comic Relief.” Radio diary on WBUR public radio’s “On Point.” October 8, 2003.
- “Is there a need for change in the Jewish National Fund’s environmental policy?” Op-Ed. The Jerusalem Report. March 11, 2002.
- “Class Historian.” Book Review. “Generation Exodus,” by Walter Laqueur. The Jerusalem Report. October 22, 2001.
- “The Other Demographic Problem.” Op-Ed. The Jerusalem Report. August 27, 2001.
- “Fitting the Pieces Together.” Book Review. “A Jewish Archive from Old Cairo,” by Stefan Reif. The Jerusalem Report. March 12, 2001.
- “From a Distance.” Book Review. “The Changing Land between the Jordan and the Sea,” by Benjamin Kedar. The Jerusalem Report. January 3, 2000.
- “When Strength and Faith Sufficed.” Book Review. “Crying for Imma: Battling for the Soul on the Golan Heights,” by Hallie Lerman. The Jerusalem Report. August 30, 1999
- “A View from the Ivory Tower.” Book Review. “Beta Israel (Falasha) in Ethiopia,” by Steven Kaplan. The Jerusalem Report. March 11, 1993